Monday, December 7, 2009

To be raw

Thanksgiving is over. Post Dublin Marathon rest is over. Christmas is coming and a new marathon training program begins. Trying to up my mileage back into the thirties before January so I can spring into good training. We did an easy 10 miler this weekend on a cool morning here in S.Florida at 52 degrees F. I would really like to be in great shape for Boston. I have been experimenting with raw foods/diet. In that I have bought a few books and a dehydrator. I already have a Vitamix and a juicer. The concept is good in that by heating food the natural enzymes are lost and our ability to absorb them decreases. In addition one decreases the chemical exposure to a large degree from processed food. I was vegan for about 2 years and then gradually gave into the pressures of my environment. I think I felt better vegan but it is hard to socialize in a carnivore world. This raw diet takes that problem to a new level. My thought is to eat raw during the day and have a cooked dinner with family at night. That way I can still have a family. They are supportive but too a point. The other problem is the prep time. The soaking of the nuts and seeds followed by dehydration is time consuming. Add cleaning the stinking juicer and I do not have time for my day job which is needed to by all the produce the process, juice, chop and marinate.
It will take some time to get organized. I have converted my junk cabinet into a nut cabinet. I have added nuts and a fruit smoothie to breakfast. More veges at lunch and juicing on the weekends. I will keep you posted on my progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment