Sunday, May 31, 2009

Homemade Energy Bars

I came across a couple of sites showing how to make your own protein bars so I thought I would give it a try. I have been looking for a snack protein bar that is more protein and less sugar, but I do not like all the fat. Before my long runs I struggle with what to eat that is easily digestible because I run very early and don't feel like getting up in the middle of the night to eat. The recipes that I tried looks like it will fit the bill.
You need 1/2 cups of rolled oats, whey protein, peanut butter and your choice of further additions. In a blender grind the oats into a powder and mix in the whey protein. Add this to a bowl containing 2 tablespoons of peanut butter. Natural peanut or almond butter would be best and contain less sugar. Mix it up adding a little water to blend it into a dough of sorts. Spread it on a piece of aluminum foil and fold into bars.
You could add some chopped dried fruit or chocolate pieces for extra flavor. Different protein powder flavors will also change the taste. Not bad and you know what you have in it. No extra alcohols or supplemental fats.
Give it a try.

1 comment:

  1. Those sound delicious! I love the oats and peanut butter combo. Have you ever tried putting PB in your oatmeal? It's amazing! I just started my own blog www.unrefinedathlete.com with recipes and training tips too and am on twitter @unrefindathlete would love to keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete